POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using a quad core linux box to speed up povray : using a quad core linux box to speed up povray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:31:30 EDT (-0400)
  using a quad core linux box to speed up povray
From: Rahul
Date: 5 Mar 2008 18:25:00
Message: <web.47cf2bbb789d489659eba08c0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have a script that each time has to render batches of 8 povray images. It
usually takes me about  a minute to do it. Its not a lot but the wait time is
getting irritating especially since it is a part of a quasi-interactive
render-tweak-render cycle for my users.

Now, we just got a new quad-core Red Hat Box and I was wondering if that opens
possibilities to speed up my script? Any suggestions?

The options that came to my mind:

1. At shell script level call povray serially in the background so that each
successive call is rendered on a different core. (Although, how does one do
this! ANy tips? Or will each call automatically go to a different core?)

2. Somehow get povray setup so that it can take advantage of all 4 cores.

I have an advantage in that each of my 8 images is essentially a seperate
render. In that sense my problem is embarrassingly parallel. So if I could just
set it up so that each povray call was routed to a different core it ought to
speed it up.

But that's just my naive idea. Maybe I'm totally wrong. Feel free to correct me
guys.

-Rahul